IGS Bull Session
STAYABILITY EPD. DOES IT WORK?
Daughters sired by bulls in the top 25 percent for stayability were over twice as likely to remain in the herd as six-year-old cows and averaged almost two more calves in their lifetime compared to daughters sired by bulls in the bottom 25 percent for stayability EPDs.
The financial success of cow-calf operations depend on a cow’s ability to remain in the herd long enough to recoup the cost of heifer development and cow maintenance. In order to achieve this, a heifer needs to calve as a 2-year-old and produce a calf each subsequent year. Stayability EPD was developed to predict this reproductive success (or failure) and is defined as a cow’s ability to remain in the herd to a specific endpoint, with the assumption that open cows are culled. The typical endpoint is defined at six years of age. Stayability has an economic influence on a cow herd through female reproduction, increased calves per cow, and increased calf performance given mature cows on average wean heavier calves. Continue reading.
IGS PARTNERS WITH NEOGEN GENOMICS
Data Sharing for the Good of an Industry
Matt Spangler of the University of Nebraska says the future of the beef business will depend on information sharing.
IGS and the Pursuit of Better Cattle
IGS Feeder Profit Calculator ™ Highlights Profit, Reduces Risk
Using the IGS Feeder Profit Calculator, cattlemen are able to provide sire information, regardless of breed, as well as preconditioning, weaning and health data in exchange for a Total Relative Value that compares the profit potential of their calves to the industry at large. That value, indicated on a formal certificate, can be used for producer benchmarking and buyer insight.
Superior Livestock Representative Clint Berry says such technology is in line with what he sees for buyer demand. Continue reading.
A global collaboration of major beef breed associations seeks to empower commercial cattlemen with genetic insight and more powerful tools for better breeding decisions.
Modern-day ranching requires more information to produce better animals, and International Genetic Solutions is propelling the effort across multiple breeds. The aim is to provide more accurate selection tools that allow for head-to-head comparisons and maximum profitability — regardless of breed. “Tying all of that information together adds a lot of value to commercial and seedstock producers because it provides a set of EPDs that are comparable across breeds without doing a bunch of extra math to figure out how they compare,” says Bob Weaber, Kansas State University Extension Specialist. Continue reading.
Working Ranch Half Time SHOW
Does collecting data on the commercial cowherd really pay off? One rancher has been doing it for over 30 years!!! Come on along crew!!
"We put our data into the IGS database, so yes, we have genomically enhanced EPDs on every animal in the herd".
"I have better genetics. How do I get someone to pay me a premium for my calves?"
Find out what John Grande has to say on the Working Ranch Half Time Show.
Data Driven Value
Chip Kemp Featured on Superior Sunrise
IGS Multi-breed Genetic Evaluation Powered by BOLT
An industry-wide collaboration is improving breeding tools. International Genetic Solutions (IGS), a group of more than 17 cattle associations and organizations, is working ...
- Updates to Growth Trait Predictions
- IGS PARTNERS WITH NEOGEN
- Check Out What We Have Done So Far
- IGS and the Pursuit of Better Cattle
- IGS Releases Multi-breed Genetic Evaluation powered by BOLT
- FAQs: IGS Multi-breed Genetic Evaluation powered by BOLT
- What to Expect with Multi-breed Genetic Evaluation Powered by BOLT
- The Value of DNA Information in the Multi-breed Genetic Evaluation Powered by BOLT
- Multi-breed Stayability: First EPDs Using BOLT
- Are the New BOLT-Derived EPDs More Accurate Than Previous Cornell EPDs?
Feeder Profit Calculator (FPC)
By Drs. Randie Culbertson, ASA and IGS Lead Geneticist and Jackie Atkins, Director of Science and Ed ...
- IGS Feeder Profit Calculator ™ Highlights Profit, Reduces Risk
- IMI Global and International Genetic Solutions (IGS) Partner to Offer New Service to Beef Producers
- Watch the IGS Feeder Profit Calculator Webinar Sessions
- Pathway to Profit Step inside the IGS Feeder Profit Calculator™
- International Genetic Solutions Feeder Profit Calculator
IGS Around the Web
By Dr. Bob Hough, WLJ correspondent As recently as the 1960s, the Hereford br ...
- NEOGEN Launches Enhanced Igenity® Beef Genomic Profile
- Why Red Angus is Part of International Genetic Solutions
- International Genetic Solutions Welcomes Newest Partner
- Management Perspectives: Use of Beef Semen Growing in Dairy Operations
- ASA's Wade Shafer Discusses IGS on FARM TALK SEGMENT 5 - Agri News 890
- Management Perspectives: No hype: EPDs work
- The IGS Feeder Profit Calculator (FPC)
- Upping the Accuracy With Single-step Genetic Evaluation
- Recent Developments in Genetic Testing and Genomic Testing
- Bob Weaber from KState and Larry Kuehn from US MARC
- IGS: We Collaborate You Profit